There's something incredibly comforting about Croutons, I mainly make these to dip into Cheese Fondue but they're also a lovely addition to my monster Caesar Salad, they add great texture. To make these I use the wonderful DS Gluten Free Brown Ciabattas, I highly recommend them.
Making gluten free Croutons is really simple, all you need is the ciabatta, olive oil and a hot grill.
- Preheat your grill to high
- Cut the ciabatta in half then into strips
- Cut the strips into crouton cubes, 4 per strip
|Ideal Crouton Size|
- Cover a grill rack with tin foil and spray or pour the olive oil on
- Put batches of the croutons onto the oiled foil and dip each side into the oil for even coverage, add more oil if needed
|Olive Oil Coated Croutons|
- Put under the grill until browned - around 5 minutes
- Turn and cook for a further 3 minutes or until browned
|Keep An Eye On Them As They Burn Quite Easily If Left|
- Remove from the rack and use as desired
|Gluten Free Croutons|
Each ciabatta yields 24 croutons if cut the same size as mine. They're a bite size indulgence that tastes amazing.
More on that theme tomorrow.