|Chicken and Pepper Papusa|
These aren't hard to make at all but there is a knack to getting the stuffing inside. Other than that these are really quick to make and pretty filling, great for dunking into dips too.
You could use pretty much anything you fancy to stuff these with but whatever the ingredients they must be blended into a paste first. You don't want any lumpy bits.
Here's our current Papusas filling of choice:
1 Chicken Breast
1 Mini Sweet Pepper
Pinch of Sea Salt
- Peel the shallots and chop roughly
- Remove the stalk from the pepper, de-seed and chop roughly
- Cut the chicken into rough chunks
- Put the ingredients into a mixer, add salt and blitz until the ingredients form a paste
Here's how to make the Masa, the ingredients listed (including the filling) will make 6 Papusas.
2 Cups Masa Harina
1 1/2 Cups Gluten Free Chicken Stock (1 Knorr Stock Pot used here)
- Make the stock with hot but not boiling water (or leave to cool)
- Put the masa harina into a big bowl and add the stock
- Mix with your hands until you have a ball of masa
Making the Papusas:
A couple of tablespoons of Oil*
- Heat a dry griddle pan (a frying pan would work too) on high
- Take a piece of dough around a quarter larger than a golf ball (I can't think of anything the exact size to describe) and roll into a ball
- Using both palms, flatten into a circle - the authentic and easiest way of doing this seems to be by twisting your palms as you flatten
- Keep the disc in one hand and with the other grab a small handful of filling
- Place the filling in the center of the dough and bring the sides of the dough up until you can seal them by pinching
- Now coat your plams in the oil and flatten the papusa to around 1 1/2cm thick twisting palms as you do
- Place into the hot pan and cook for 5 minutes each side
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients
|Papusa In Pan|
|Naturally Gluten Free Papusa|
Other great naturally gluten free things to make with Masa Harina include:
So yes, Papusas are lovely, a great alternative to gluten free bread.
Choose your stuffing of choice and enjoy!