|Egg Drop Soup|
Despite never have made this myself it seems that my taste buds have great memories because I made this from scratch and replicated the flavours to match the Egg Drop Soup from the Japanese restaurant down to a tee. It was just as I remembered it.
It helps that the ingredients used are some of my favourites and that I'm very familiar with using them, still I surprised myself with just how easy it was to replicate a dish so far into my past. It had been over a decade that I last ate this soup, testament to how good it was I guess.
I made this for the two of us as a starter but have to admit that it would be enough for me as a main, it was surprisingly filling but I do have a small appetite so for most this would be a light meal.
3 Spring Onions
3 Tablespoons Tamari Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Gluten Free Oyster Sauce (Chan Moon Kee is our choice)
2 Heaped Teaspoons Corn Starch
- Put the water, stock pot, tamari soy sauce and oyster sauce into a pan and heat on high
- Chop the spring onions quite finely and add to the pan, cover with a lid
|Keep A Couple Of Pinches Back For Garnish|
- Once the soup comes to the boil lower the heat for a slow simmer
- Cook for 30 minutes
- Put 1 heaped teaspoon of corn starch into a bowl or container and add a couple of spoonfuls of soup and mix
- Bring the soup to a faster simmer and add the corn starch mix, stir until dissolved
- Bring the pan back to a slow simmer and cook for a further 5 minutes to get rid of any corn starch taste
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add 1 heaped teaspoon of corn starch and mix until thick
- Get a fork and hold over the pan upside down, pour the egg mixture over the fork so some of the egg slides through the prongs and turns into little ribbons when it hits the soup
- Slow simmer for 1 minutes then serve
- Garnish with the remaining spring onion
|Simple But Delish|
If you want a soup that is really easy to make, is fairly quick from prep to the table and oozes comfort, try this, you won't be disappointed. I won't be forgetting about this again anytime soon.